Substitute Bus Driver Ada & Elmore Co. (On Call)
Substitute Bus Driver (On Call/As Needed ) $14.12 hr.
Job SummaryProvides and ensures safe and efficient transportation of children to and from Friends of Children and Families (FOCAF) Head Start schools; performs related work as required. On-call position, can be short-term or long-term.
- Performs pre & post trip inspections of bus.
- Safely transports children between pickup/drop off points and school and reports delays or accidents.
- Conducts or assists in conducting emergency evacuation practice monthly with all children.
- Creates route directional and updates as needed throughout the school year.
- Submits documentation for program state and federal requirements.
- Follows appropriate procedures if parents are not at stop at time of child’s scheduled drop off.
- Ability to understand children's needs and be able to meet them.
- Partner with assistant teacher/ bus monitors to provide positive and safe experiences for children being transported.
- Actively participates in staff meetings, team to problem solve, reinforce teaming concepts, and implement program goals
- Effectively and appropriately responds and communicates with parents, volunteers, bus drivers, and co-workers on a variety of different topics.
- Keeps immediate supervisor, and program leadership fully and accurately informed of all work related situations.
- Prioritizes and adjusts to the changing demands of the position.
- Handles and adapts to stressful situations.
- Remains up to date with policies and practices.
- On Call based on the needs of the program
- Complies with all safety policies, practices, and procedures. Reports all unsafe activities to a member of leadership.
- Knowledge and understanding of Department of Transportation regulations pertaining to safe operation of school bus.
- Works irregular hours if required; gaps between routes.
- Washes bus inside and out when needed, sweeps, cleans, and sanitizes bus after completion of each route.
- Demonstrates integrity and ingenuity in the performance of all tasks.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must be 21 years of age per DOT Regulation # 391.11 (B)(1).
- Possession of a Commercial Driver’s License issued by the State of Idaho with passenger and school bus endorsements and a clean driving record
- Graduation from high school or possession of a GED.
- Must pass DOT physical exam and TB test.
- Must pass a drug test and submit to random drug and/or alcohol testing.
- Complete training and maintain Boise City Child Care Worker License; and certification in First Aid and CPR.
- Involves sitting, twisting, bending, using hands to handle or feel, reaching with hands and arms, talking, and hearing.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and color vision.
- Occasionally requires standing and walking.
- Must have sufficient manual dexterity to work with the fingers and to reach/handle items.
- Must be able to lift and/or carry up to 45 pounds.
- Physical abilities must meet and reflect the Federal Motor Carriers Safety Regulations listed on DOT Federal Transit Regulations Book, Part 391.41 Physical Qualifications and Examinations. DOT physical exams must be kept current.
Friends of Children and Families is a non-profit organization serving Ada and Elmore Counties specializing in services to pre-school children and their families.